What Conditions Is Herbal Medicine Used For?
Herbal medicine has been used to treat or alleviate virtually every possible medical condition. Here is a brief overview of some of the many safe and effective herbal remedies and the conditions for which they are used:
- Aloe - used topically for minor burns, sunburns, skin irritation or inflammation
- Arnica - used topically for bruises, sprains, sore muscles and joints
- Chamomile tea - for upset stomach, heartburn, indigestion and colic
- Comfrey, in a topical poultice only, for bedsores, diabetic ulcers, certain spider bites and staph infections contracted on tropical beaches
- Dong Quai for women and Ginseng for men and women - to improve general health and stamina - in this application, these are known as tonics.
- Echinacea - for colds, flu, sore throat
- Garlic - to possibly reduce cholesterol and blood pressure, treat fungal infections and colds
- Ginger - for nausea and motion sickness and as an antiinflammatory
- Passionflower - for non-sedating relaxation
- Peppermint tea - for indigestion, nausea and other digestive problems
- Peppermint oil (in enteric-coated capsules) - for irritable bowel syndrome and other chronic intestinal ailments
- Tea tree oil - applied topically for fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and fungal infections of the toenails and fingernails
- Turmeric - to combat inflammation and protect against cancer and Alzheimer’s disease
- Valerian - for sleeping problems.